Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A Week at the Beach

I think my last blog entry was July 22! I am a little behind on posting because I took the week off last week to go to La Jolla, CA. We rented a beach house with another couple who also have two boys. Their boys are 2 ½ and 2 months. It was a great week. I didn’t check my email once and didn’t think about work at all. The only big activity we did was Sea World which was fun but a bit challenging with the boys’ nap schedules. We were reminded of the repercussions of skipping naps. You can get through the day, yes, but then your toddler will wake up at 3 AM and not want to go back to sleep. So for the rest of the week, we mostly just went to the beach and hung out, or the playground, or wandered around downtown La Jolla. Now spending the week with another couple, especially with kids involved, is always a little scary the first time. We quickly realized that we weren’t going to be able to everything together because the nap schedules were completely different but we managed to synch up a few times for some trips to the beach and playground and then we were entertained watching the boys play in the grassy backyard of the house after dinner and before bedtime. Overall, it was a great trip and I would love to do it again next year and even stay for 2 weeks! Heck, 3 months would be nice.

The week before the trip I was driving the boys to swimming lessons and the car started to jerk. I knew immediately something was up with the transmission. Fortunately I had noticed a couple weird things the day before and had a 7:30 AM appointment with Acura to check out the car. I managed to get to swimming lessons and back driving in 1st and 2nd gear. Well, it did turn out to be the transmission and even though the car is not still under warranty, Acura said the transmission was (they must have had problems with these) and so we got a brand new Acura TL courtesy vehicle to drive to San Diego. That was really nice. It had XM satellite radio so we could listen to something other than the two Mexican radio stations when we were driving through Yuma. Now of course, my car seems kind of ghetto but I need to get over that because if any car is replaced, it would be Brian’s 1997 Rav4. I hate that car but I only drive it once every 3 months or so and always under duress.

On car trips: we learned that Ty does not nap in the car like 99.9% of all other toddlers. We also learned that Jack gets car sick as demonstrated by the big puke on the way there and one on the way back.

Well, that’s all I have time for right now. I’m still catching up from being off work for so long.

2 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see a new post. It's been too long. I guess book club really took it out of you. ha ha. Sounds like a fun and relaxing trip to La Jolla. I could really go for that about now. See you this weekend.

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time at the beach. We love Seaworld. Didn't Jack just think it was so cool? The first time we took Cayman was in Florida and he was like 15 months old. He wasn't too thrilled when Shamu jumped up right in front of him. He loves it now.
We did miss your blog though. Glad I get to see alot of you this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home