Sunday, December 18, 2005

Crying Baby

Ty does not want to sleep again. We are doing the thing where we are going into his room every 5 minutes but not picking him up. He is screaming. Overall it’s been a pretty horrible week. Ty has not wanted to sleep for several nights before Wednesday. We had a bit of a reprieve Thurs - Sat but now he is doing the same thing as before. He goes from crying to just staring at me. I’m worried that he is such an extrovert that he needs someone in the room with him at all times or else he cries. Wednesday Brian flew to Seattle to spend the day with his sister for her birthday. This meant I had to get the kids to day care and handle them myself in the evening. Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal but we are very sleep deprived and Ty is being difficult. Sure enough, Ty started crying when I put him into bed. I decided it was time to let him “cry it out”. I went into the room every 5 minutes to soothe him and would leave. After over 2 hours, he was still going strong. So I got ready for bed, then went to his room, said “You win.” Picked him up, put him in bed with me and fed him. He promptly fell asleep until 5:30 AM. I hope this is a temporary thing. I can see why people just give up and let their kids sleep in their beds, just to get a good night sleep. He slept better the next few nights but he has been crying for over an hour now (Sunday night). Brian is traveling again on Monday so that will be another lovely evening for me. I will be sure to drink a couple shots of whiskey with dinner.

After spending 3 hours a night for 5 nights in a phone meeting, in addition to working my normal schedule, I took most of Friday off to spend some time with Ty. I got to visit Jill, Tatum and Landon at Jill's new house. It was spacious and had lots of storage which means she can now buy everything from Costco. They are going to use the space under the stairs for toys. I think it would make a nice wine cellar myself. I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought myself a Christmas present... a sound machine for my room. I love the sound of rain or just about any kind of white noise while I am sleeping. It blocks out the TV when Brian stays up late watching it. I don't know why men have to turn the TV up so loud. Does anyone else have this problem? We have sound machines in Ty and Jack's room. This is how you keep your baby from waking up your 2 year old... you make your 2 year old think it's always raining at night, or that there is a big waterfall outside his window. My sister puts on crickets for her 3 year old but I would find that a little distracting.

We went to an outdoor going away party for Annette and her family on Friday night. Brian left work late on Friday and so we missed most of it that was going on during the daylight. Just about every single person at work leaves early on Fridays except for Brian. It was cold and dark by the time we got there. Jack chugged an apple juice and proceeded to puke. He never drinks full strength juice and so doesn't have self-control when it comes to drinking it and obviously doesn't have the stomach for it. We chatted with Annette and Jill and Tracy and their families. We are very sorry to see Annette and her family move to Colorado. :-(

Brian went to an eye doctor appointment and then wanted to spend 2 ½ hours giving blood (he gives the power reds). I was really tired so he stayed at home. I think it’s pretty altruistic of Brian to give blood the second he is eligible every 16 weeks but it’s also a burden on me sometimes since he does it on the weekend. We watched a movie Saturday night which was my first movie since seeing Star Wars at the theater. It was “Mean Girls” with Lindsey Lohan. It wasn’t bad. Sunday Yvonne came over and watched the boys for a couple hours so that Brian and I could be Brian and Kelly and not Dada and Mama. We went to eat and did a little shopping. It was quite luxurious.

I keep hearing people gripe about how people are trying to get rid of Christmas or making people say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. I’m irritated at the people who are griping. I’m REALLY irritated at the people who are griping about Target not letting the Salvation Army person ring the bell in front of their store (I’m sorry. I find this extremely annoying and think that if someone has time to be spending in front of the store ringing a bell, they could be picking up trash off the highway or visiting sick people or volunteering in a soup kitchen.) And if Target doesn’t want to say Merry Christmas anywhere, let them. There is CLEARLY tons of Christmas stuff in the store. They are HARDLY trying to get rid of Christmas. Why would they? They make a lot of money off Christmas. As someone who did not celebrate Christmas for the first 30 years of her life, I do understand what it is like to not celebrate it, and simply dealing with all the frantic people trying to find gifts, the bad traffic and the crowded malls, and seeing all the displays and all the decorations is pretty much cramming it down people’s throats. Frankly I found this more irritating than people saying Merry Christmas to me. There, I got that off my chest. So in the event that I don’t get a chance to blog over the next week or so because of Christmas (because I now “celebrate” it because my husband is way into it and I think the tree in the house smells good) have a great time doing whatever you do when you get some time off work.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,
It was great to see you on Friday night. Have a wonderful Christmas!! Travel safe.

Hang in there with Ty.

xxoo,
Annette

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never even thought of a wine cellar. You are brilliant! Not sure I can talk the kids into that one though. Hang in there with Ty. He is just a little stubborn. He is a boy after all. And as far as watching TV too loud. Joe doesn't anymore but it took literally years to break the habit. Have a great time in Battleground for Xmas!!!!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Cacti to Cornfields said...

Not only are you brilliant, but YOU ROCK!!! Right on about the comments about those damn Salvation Army bellringers... I couldn't have said it better myself and I totally agree, like, 1000%!!! Salvation Army is a well-run non-profit and all, but they are totally discriminatory, among other things. I liked what you had to say so much, I think I am going to steal part of it and add it to my own blog!! There are a LOT of folks who get left out when Christmas get crammed down on our throats. Well said!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home