Monday, January 09, 2006

Pink Eye

I’m not sure how I can sit here and write for this blog when I know we haven’t sent out of Christmas cards yet. I thought they could be Happy New Year cards but that has passed us by. I wonder if they make Martin Luther King cards? Well, maybe President’s Day.

Thursday morning I went to the dentist and arranged to get my zoom whitening done in July. They don’t like to do it when you’re breastfeeding and I thought I would do it right after my next cleaning. Teeth whitening is one component of my extreme makeover. Later on that day, I got the second laser treatment for my spider veins. It definitely hurts more than hair removal, even though it takes less time. I told that to the woman zapping me and she said, well you were numb for the hair removal. I said, No I wasn’t. I went to Affordable Laser for the hair removal and when they make it affordable, they mean a strip mall in a bad part of town with no numbing and if you’re lucky, you can get some aloe vera put on the area when you’re done. I have no regrets about doing that though as I now have hairless arm pits, a tidy bikini line and only have to shave my legs every week versus once a day. I could use a few more treatments on my legs but it’s so significantly reduced that I’m not sure that I really care. I was a little disappointed in the vein treatment after the first round but I didn’t realize it was a multiple treatment thing. But after the second treatment, I think I’ll have better results. I’m starting to think that my veins don’t really bother me that much after all. I wonder if self-tanner would cover the whole mess plus the few stray hairs I have on my legs?

Friday I worked most of the day but made a trip a Costco during lunch. This was a very oddly painful trip. It’s warm here so I was wearing my rubber flip flops and I was getting shocked on the cart and on the refrigerators about every 15 – 30 seconds. I was almost in tears by the end of the trip because it was getting painful. Never again will I wear those shoes to Costco. I wonder if my hair was sticking straight up.

I picked up Ty a little early from day care to get some quality Ty Time and there was a notice on the door at day care “PINK EYE” is going around. UGH. I walk into the infant room and lo and behold his eye is red. CRAP. You can’t bring your kid to day care unless they have been on eye antibiotics for 24 hours. I can’t get into the doctor at 4 PM on a Friday and there is no freaking way I’m going to sit in an urgent care with 200 other people with the flu. So I made an appointment for 7:30 AM on Monday and resolved to take the day off work on Monday.

Friday night I met the girls at Cyclo, a Vietnamese restaurant in Chandler. Kim, who moved to China a few months ago, flew over to attend her grandfather’s funeral. A sad reason to come out here but we were all happy to see her. I didn’t know that Cyclo was BYOB which is always nice because you aren’t paying 10x the retail cost for a bottle of wine like you normally do in a restaurant. Jeanette arrived late and informed us that she was late because one of the guys running for the mayor of Chandler asked her out on a date. Of course, I knew him because I’ve attended a couple of city council meetings, including the one where all the women were breastfeeding in the audience to protest some anti-breastfeeding laws. He is a very handsome man and is a very prominent bachelor in our town so we were all very proud of Jeanette and will probably vote for him just so we can say that our friend is dating the mayor. I did stop to think… what criteria exactly do you use when you vote for a mayor? I don’t think they declare themselves Democrat or Republican. Anyway, Kim wasn’t very happy with the way the people who are renting her house are taking care of it. Actually, they aren’t paying rent because they are taking care of the dogs. If I had that arrangement, I’d be bending over backward for the people who set me up with that but I guess some people are ingrates. (Sorry, Kim).

On Saturday we went to some friends’ house in Phoenix. They are moving to Austin, TX which is quite a nice town. My friend Libby lives there and works for Dell. It just doesn’t seem like it’s Texas there. The party was early enough so that we could take the kids and they had it catered by a Mexican restaurant. By 7:30 PM, Jack was overtired to the point of hyperactivity so it was time to go. On Sunday, Brian took Jack and Ty to the zoo to meet up with Gert and Connor while I went to brunch with Missie. Missie and I enjoyed our regular meal of eggs benedict at the Cheesecake Factory. Missie’s husband doesn’t understand how we can go to the same place every time we meet for brunch but when you only get to meet up every 1- 2 months, it’s like a new meal! We drooled over purses and watches at Coach and then went to Williams Sonoma for a single serve coffee demonstration and tasting. The coffee maker was $399 and used those pods that looked like half and half creamer containers. It was tasty but Brian drinks way too much coffee for that to be economical. He would go through 10 pods a day at least.

I got to spend some quality time with Jack the rest of the day. We kicked the ball outside in our fake grass. He kicks the ball better than me. Part of me was proud and the other part of me felt kind of pathetic. But maybe flip flops aren’t the best shoe to wear when you’re kicking the ball around. Ty and Jack took their very first bath together. It was so cute. Ty would splash and of course Jack thought that was funny and had to splash even bigger. When I’m getting Jack’s pajamas on, Brian comes running into the room and I’m thinking something horrible has happened to Ty and it turns out that Ty has a tooth! It’s a sharp little thing sticking out of the gum so that explains why he is a bit fussy these days. HE REALLY IS TEETHING.

Bright and early Monday morning, I took Ty to the doctor to check out his eye (which by the way, was not red all weekend… a little watery at times but not red). I made a huge mistake of going on the 202 to I-10 and spent 45 minutes fighting the horrible traffic that some people face every day. Of course, I had only allotted 25 minutes to get there because it only takes 15 minutes under normal conditions. Doctor says… doesn’t look like pink eye. Looks like part of his cold. Woooo hoooo! Drop Ty off at day care (workers are suspicious but I assure them doctor gave him the A-OK).

At work there is a new person in the mother’s room and she’s using my spot. See, there are 2 spots. One spot has the communal pump that I use and the other spot has a place for your own pump. She has her own pump but yet she is using the spot that has the communal pump. I feel a little territorial because I have logged about 325 hours in this room and I have squatting rights. We will have to see how this plays out.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A communal breast pump! Is that real? Good thing about no pink eye. What a busy weekend you had. So extreme makeover huh? What else are you going to get done? Remind me to check out your legs when I see you on Friday...

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo - I rated a blog mention!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home