Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I still have a job

Well, I made it through the lay offs at work. I can't believe the number of people who actually wanted to get laid off. I am not sure what that means. I mean, do they have something better lined up or do they hate their jobs? I still like what I do although I still have issues with someone at work and I think management is having a really hard time getting their act together in terms of getting clear roles for people and what they are supposed to be doing.

I left off with the somewhat outrageous Friday evening with Tracy/BJ and Annette/Todd. On Saturday Brian took Jack to the Diamondbacks game because it was one of the last ones with Gonzo. They had a great time watching the game and eating peanuts. When the boys are older, I can definitely see us buying season passes because we all love baseball. Saturday night I went to Nello's to visit with a friend who used to live here and now lives in Folsom. There were several people there and so I only got to talk to Alan for a few minutes. That was really disappointing. Alan, Mike and I used to play on the same volleyball team and we would go out and drink beer and play trivia at this dive bar. We wouldn't hesitate to go before the volleyball game if it was a late game. It didn't really change the level of play. Those were some good times.

Brian hiked Camelback on Sunday morning in his preparation to hike Rim to Rim to Rim. A lot of people love hiking but it's just not my thing. I hiked Havasupi a few years ago (10 or 12 miles one way with a 35 lbs pack) and decided that I just didn't like it. To be good at it, you have to train. To train, you need to use your spare time. I have other things to do with my spare time like having lunch with friends, doing Pilates, playing volleyball, playing with my kids, socializing... plus Brian is a natural hiker. He hikes faster than anyone else I know and so I would be hiking on my own and be several hours behind him. Like I said, I would rather be socializing than hiking alone for 10 hours. So when Brian got back from hiking Camelback, I went to brunch with Missie. And we did a little shopping. She is about 1 month from her due date.

I took Jack to his swimming lesson on Tuesday and the regular instructor was not there. The substitute instructor "Jason" was a very hot guy in his early 20's. He was great with the kids and it was fun for me to watch him with the kids. Ha ha. Unfortunately the regular instructor showed up on Thursday. On Wednesday we met Tracy and BJ and their kids at a park to help their daughter Hunter with her volleyball. I did some drills with her and then Brian did. The kids had a great time running around and playing on the playground. The weather is finally cooling off so the evenings are very nice.

We had a women's conference at work on Thursday. I am not sure what I think about these conferences where a bunch of women get together and we hear things about career development and mentoring and networking. I hate the way "networking" is a verb and I don't like events where you are just supposed to "network". I think of a network as a noun. It's something that you build through activities like working with other people, or playing volleyball or doing Pilates at a gym or meeting new people at a happy hour. Just to throw a bunch of people together and say "go network" is lame. Just my opinion. I didn't meet any new people at this conference but ran into a ton of people from my past, so that was fun.

The weekend was really laid back. Brian and I attempted to get caught up on a bunch of chores that have been sitting for weeks. Our $50 water bill has been around $112 for the past two months. That's a lot of extra showers and loads of laundry. Most likely it's a pool leak but we are not sure. Our neighborhood had a garage sale so we walked around and mostly socialized. We bought some kids stuff like games and puzzles.

My sister Krisy had her baby on Sunday. His name is Reid Alexander. Congratulations Kris-Kris and Paw-Paw!

2 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
Just wanted to comment on a few things. 1st, Congrats on not getting laid off.
2nd, I love Gonzo. He and Matty Williams were my favorites. I miss the D-backs.
and last, I LOVE the name Reid! Congrats to your sis.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you still have a job. Bj's aunt got laid off after 25 years or so when she was told again and again that she wouldn't. So the problem is still present at work I take it? I will be looking for the hot swim instructor next time I'm at the Y. Hope you find your water problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home