Thursday, March 29, 2007

March

I wonder if anyone still reads this blog since I update it so infrequently. My last post showed the Manicure and Martini charity event (on March 2) which was so much fun that I will definitely do it again next year. The rest of that weekend was a blur—we went to the Farm with Jill, Joe and family and Kim and the kids, and Pam and Murray. It was a beautiful day and the kids ran around and had fun. That night we had dinner with our friends Liz and Inigo from Washington, DC, plus Jill and Gert and another couple. I enjoyed catching up with Liz but the acoustics aren’t that great at Z’Tejas and so it was hard to hear others. I had my favorite restaurant dessert, the Ancho Chili Pie. J The next day was Jeannette’s shower. Brian ended up making the cheese tray that we contributed to the cause. It was a nice shower and they served coffee with the cake. I’ve decided that baby showers should always have coffee served with the cake and that makes my baby shower experience complete and satisfying. Ha ha. Either that or a stiff drink. I did win the baby shower Mad Lib game. Nicki and I used to do Mad Libs all the time and would come up with the most “out there” words. We never used nouns like “chair” or “table”. I had to apply the same philosophy to the baby shower game.

The next two weekends were kind of repeats. We went to the Desert Breeze Train Park with the kids and met Jill and Gert and their kids there. The next week I met my friend from Oregon there. We met through work and she was down here with her husband and her daughter for vacation and spring training. Then it was time for Jen’s baby shower. Since it was in Glendale, we carpooled so the trip wasn’t too bad. I won yet another baby shower game by guessing the baby food flavors, including the tie breaker “chicken pasta”. There was no coffee but there were petit fours which were yummy and addictive. The coffee would have probably put me over the edge into a state of ecstasy.

Last weekend I had ‘the girls’ over for cosmos and Sex and the City shows. There was more chatting, drinking and eating than TV watching but that is OK. No one got too silly, unfortunately. We went to the Salsa Challenge the next day and I ate a ton of chips and salsa. I was so stuffed. But most of it was really yummy. The next night Brian went to a Peacemakers concert with Pam and Murray. I didn’t go because I don’t necessarily enjoy the crowds and late night that go along with a concert but I make exceptions every now and then. I saw “Jesus Christ Superstar” at the Orpheum at Sunday night. That originally came out in 1970 but it was one of the better musicals I’ve seen. The guy who played Jesus was the guy who was in the Broadway show which means Jesus was more like 60 years old than 30 years old. That was weird.

Monday night I went to Lifetime as Shannon’s guess for a salsa dancing class. I thought we were going to be learning how to do the salsa but the class was a fitness class where we did the salsa, cha-cha-cha and samba very fast for a whole hour. My body was in shock but it went fast and it was fun. I would do it again but I won’t be joining Lifetime anytime soon. Maybe I will go as a guest again.

I was talking to Jack’s preschool director about what to expect when he goes to kindergarten and she asked when his birthday was. It’s August 26 and he is still only 3 1/2. She said even though September 1 is the cut off, that we should hold him back. Not academically but for social reasons. Frankly I was shocked that she said that because it never occurred to me to hold him back if he makes the cut off so now I am obsessing about this and he’s still only 3 years old. I think the best I can do is just continue to watch how he does. Fortunately I don’t have to make any decisions about this any time soon.

We learned yesterday that my dad has melanoma. My dad is the healthiest guy I have ever known (he’s a vegan, has exercised for an hour a day every day his whole life, etc.). I am really hoping it’s the early stages but I’m also very worried. It sucks.

4 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I still read your blog. I wanted to say sorry to hear about your dad. Let me know when you know more.

I guess we are done with baby showers for awhile. Unless someone else shows up pregnant in the book club. It better not be me!! haha.

The sex in the city party was fun we will have to do it again sometime.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Friends of Hens said...

I'm still reading too...

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger TresTopics said...

I still read too kel

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger mcullop said...

I still read too.
Sorry about your Dad. I hope everything will be ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home