Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A New Pair of Jeans

I’m still getting headaches every day which I have been attributing to dehydration, even though I only drink water throughout the day with the exception of a couple cups of coffee in the morning. I’m starting to wonder if I should take a trip to the doctor to see if they can figure out what is going on. How many gallons of water would it take for me to not have these headaches? What if it’s not dehydration?

I went to a show called “Defending the Caveman” at the Orpheum last Sunday night with my “theater group”. This particular show was almost like watching a stand-up comic… it’s a one man show and was on Broadway for a long time. It compared men and women to the way they were during the caveman times and it was quite funny. I actually gained some insight. When Brian goes golfing with his friends or my sister’s husbands for 4+ hours, I always ask him what they talked about. He says, Nothing. I don’t believe him because how can you spend that much time with other people and talk about nothing??? Obviously they talked about something very juicy and he is withholding information from me. Well, it turns out that he was not withholding information from me and that they literally didn’t talk about anything other than “nice shot” and “where’s the beer cart?” Women, on the other hand, would know all the intimate details of one another after about 30 minutes. Well, there you go. Another mystery solved.

I spent the week driving around in a Pontiac G6 while Progressive worked on my car since I had a lot of damage from the car accident last week. I have to say they were an excellent insurance company to work with. They made everything very easy on me and were very nice. Even though I had the kids with me and they were hungry and dirty, I am so glad that I decided to stay until I got a police report in my hands. I have heard horror stories from people who exchanged insurance information but didn’t get a police report and the stories change and then you can’t get the other person’s insurance company to pay. So make note of that, no matter how tempting it is to leave. Unless it’s your fault. Ha ha.

We had book club on Friday night. There were only five of us but I actually liked that better because it was easier to hear everyone and talk to everyone. We read “My Sister’s Keeper” which is a decent read and I would recommend it. Of course, we had the same juicy conversations and spent very little time talking about the book. What else did you expect?

On Saturday I decided to go to Scottsdale Denim Company for a pair of jeans. Let me first start off by saying that I believe you never have to pay full price for anything. I used to spend 8 hours a day at the mall or Last Chance or the outlets to find a great bargain. The truth is that to never pay full price for anything and to find something decent AND to find something that actually fits a post-partum body requires a tremendous amount of time that I don’t have. If I’m lucky, I can shop for a couple hours a month. Well, I realized that none of my jeans were fitting me well and I was getting frustrated so I decided to see what these expensive jeans are all about. You know the jeans that all the movie stars wear. I personally tend to pay $20 – 30 for a pair of jeans, typically at Old Navy and sometimes I grab a pair at Costco. They have a very small selection and no dressing rooms so you can imagine the trial and error involved there. Well, now I have a ton of jeans that fit me so-so to poor. So I decided to go to one of those places where you tell them your size and the people who work there bring you tons of pairs of jeans to try on until you find the best one. This kind of service comes with a price but if you read my ROM entry, you will know that I look for any opportunity to buy time. Most of the jeans were too low-rise for me. I’m all for lower rise jeans but many of these are very low. We finally found a pair of jeans with a little bit higher rise (but no where close to a mom jean!) and a really nice slight stretch. All of those jeans I had heard of “7 for All Mankind” and “Citizens for Humanity” and “True Religion” made my rear end look like a sausage. I ended up with “Joe’s Jeans”. I paid several times more for these jeans than Old Navy jeans or the latest Costco special but I really love them and feel good in them and they are amazingly comfortable. I guess now that I know what brand/style works for me, I can search for the best deal on them with all my free time. Ha! The good news is that my quest to find jeans took all of 30 minutes, not including the drive time to Scottsdale and back. That rocks.

I met up with Brian and the boys at the mall afterwards and even managed to buy a pair of sandals. That felt really good too.

On Sunday I met Jill, Liz and Kim for lunch at Arcadia Farms. They went off to the Phoenician for massages and I went home because I can’t seem to get enough of Brian, Jack and Ty on the weekends, as crazy as that sounds. I just love spending time as a family. I ended up taking Jack to playground and socializing with some of the neighbors. On Sunday night I went to Tami’s house for girls’ game night. That was a lot of fun but I had to bail early (11 PM!) because I couldn’t keep my eyes open.

On Monday we had the day off work for President’s Day. Because day care was open, we took the boys in around 9 AM and I went to get my jeans hemmed and Brian got his tire fixed at Costco. Then we went to House of Tricks for a great lunch, sitting outside in the sun… just the two of us enjoying smoked salmon and turkey waldorf salad and a glass of wine. It was very luxurious. We almost never go out on dates! We browsed around Z Gallery and Costco Home and went to Starbucks. We picked up the boys around 3 PM and had a nice leisurely dinner. It was an awesome day. I wish we had these “free” days more often.

4 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your new jeans! I promised myself after I lose the last 15 lbs I am going to check that place out. I just can't justify buying anything until it's a weight I will stay. Sounds like a great weekend.

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to go and get a another "good" pair of jeans they make a big difference! Did you notice if they carry any longs??
Your date day sounds like alot of fun. I want to try that restaurant sometime.

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The jeans so fabulous!!! Any for short stubs like me?
Book club sounded fun too. Please do fill in on the juicy convo. I'm going through friend/socialization withdrawals.

Sounded like a great weekend!!!
Annette

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That store sounds great! I want to go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home