Friday, October 28, 2005

Good News in Chandler

This summer in our great city of Chandler, a woman was breastfeeding at a public pool. She was covered up (keep in mind it's usually around 110 degrees during the day). Someone complained to a lifeguard and the lifeguard told the woman to feed her child in the restroom. That started a big hubbub and the city council then proposed to make an ordinance that said that women who breastfeed should be "appropriately covered" [whatever that means] but if someone complained, then they would be asked to go to a private location (like a restroom or 120 degree car) and if they refused, then they would be arrested. Needless to say, all the mothers in the city were infuriated. Breastfeeding is a protected right in like 38 states but not Arizona. So we got some good news in the past couple of days:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1027breastfeeding-ON.html

Chandler has become the second city in the nation to enact a breast-feeding law, making it legal in the city for a mother to nurse her child "anywhere a mother and child are allowed to be." The council on Thursday voted unanimously to approve the measure. Their decision met with cheers and a standing ovation from more than 50 mothers, most who were holding babies, who packed the room. The council also passed a resolution asking the state Legislature to follow their lead and exempt breast-feeding from indecent exposure laws. Although 35 states, excluding Arizona, have laws that permit public breast-feeding, Philadelphia is the only other city with one, City Attorney Michael House said. The push came from a group of nursing mothers after a Tempe resident was asked not to nurse her child beside a Chandler pool in June.

Wednesday I went to an all day staff meeting with my new boss. I’m not sure my new boss has a sense of humor. I can’t put my finger on it but something about him makes him unapproachable/difficult to relate to. I am going to reserve judgment… he may be acting a certain way because he is new and needs to establish himself in this group. If there is no levity in this group, then I will be unhappy. Anyway, the demographic in the room is men who have worked here for 15 – 20 years, with kids and stay-at-home wives. I am the only woman. My boss wanted to work straight through lunch and I said, “Can we have a 15 minute break?” He said, “Well, the food is right back there [in the back of the room]”. Then he said, “Oh, I know why you need a break…” I felt a combination of relief and horror that he came to realization that I needed to go pump but then he said in front of everyone…”Oh you want to go work out.” Errr… not exactly. He did concede to a break but he still has no clue what I needed to go do, even though I told him I was breastfeeding when he came on board a couple weeks ago. I think this is definitely one of the things that makes it hard for women to go back to work. People who haven't been through it before just can't relate.

2 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank god I can feel good about whipping my jugs out in public again. I never realized something like this would have been an issue and I have felt almost "naughty" nursing in public lately. You may want to remind your boss about possible engorgement and then we will be really embarassed that he forgot you were nursing. Men are so so self-centered. I don't envy you dealing with them alone...

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Chengdus & Don'ts said...

Hey, that is great news for Chandler! I can't believe your boss, but he is a man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home