Thursday, October 06, 2005

How smart is Jack?

Tuesday night we were getting Jack's pajamas on and he was naked so I asked him if he wanted to go potty. Usually the answer is no, even though he will pee in his diaper 10 seconds later. Well this night he said he wanted to go pee and I tried to stand up and he pushed me back down. "NO MAMA", he said. I tried to follow him into the bathroom but he pushed me out and closed the door and said "NO MAMA". He wouldn't let Brian in either. So we listened at the door and heard him say, "Yea, Jack!" which is something he says to himself when he does something he's proud of. By the time we got into the bathroom, he was already on his stool, rinsing out the bowl from his little potty in the sink. The question is: did he really use the potty or did he pretend to use it and then hide the lack of evidence by rinsing the bowl before we could see it? Because if he goes to the potty 5 times, he gets to watch a Baby Einstein video. It was a scary thought that Jack could deceive us in order to watch a video at such a young age. I still wonder why he closed the door. Does a 2 year old need privacy? Even I, a 36 year old woman, don't get privacy in the bathroom anymore. Jack comes barging in and then Brian comes in to talk about something because now the door is open. We might as well just have a toilet in the middle of the family room so I can at least watch TV while I am doing my business. I can't really talk and use the bathroom at the same time. Other women can and like to try to talk to you through the stalls at work. Not me. God forbid I should be going #2 and they want to keep talking.

I got up at 6 AM on Wednesday and we managed to leave the house on time. Driving to work was a little strange because I kept looking in the backseat and panicking because Ty wasn't there (Brian does the day care drop-offs). There is some luxury in going back to work in that there some alone time. After chatting with the usual crowd, I went to the cafeteria to check out our new grill. Our cafeteria for years only had a salad bar with brown lettuce and hot dogs. Well, the hot dogs weren't on the salad bar exactly. So having a grill is very exciting. So I had a fried egg and cheese sandwich. After eating the sandwich, it was time to head to the lactation room. The lactation room where I work is actually the nurse's office but there is never a nurse in there as demonstrated by the layer of dust on the desk and the 2001 calendar sitting there. The exciting thing about the lactation room is that there is a restroom inside that of course no one uses except for me and perhaps any other breastfeeding mom who uses the room. This is exciting because I am assured no one will talk to me while using the restroom. I started to read Harry Potter and calculated that 12 pages = 4 oz of milk.

On a whim I decided to head over to the gym during lunch to do the lunchtime aerobic class. I felt a little like a sausage putting on my workout clothes. I guess I haven't quite gotten back to my pre-pregnancy body. Oh, well. I bumbled around on the step for a while and then they moved to the core/abdominal exercises. I think I left my abdominal muscles on the delivery room floor because I couldn't do the exercises and just lay on my mat in a heap. I wish society thought flabby stomachs and loose skin were badges representing the beauty and miracle of childbirth.

I don't exactly have a job yet although "they" have something in mind for me. It's extremely ambiguous although people think if there are a bunch of words in a powerpoint presentation, then that is enough information to direct the work of a bunch of people and spend several millions of dollars. So I'm wading through all the presentations to make sense of it and to figure out what I should be doing.

We decided to celebrate my return to work with a trip to Carraba's. It had to have been the most unenjoyable dinner ever when Jack had a biggest temper tantrum I've ever seen. Screaming and crying and we are still not sure why. Jack saw me feeding Ty with a bottle of leftover breastmilk and got really mad. Took the empty bottle, put it in his mouth and didn't let go until we got home. I guess he is a little jealous of Ty. But he was also really tired.

Back to the grind again this morning. Cheese omelet on the new grill. Met Heather, baby Peyton and Christine for lunch today at a Korean place. At 4:30 PM I'm in a meeting and get a frantic call on my cell phone from day care, "TY IS STARVING." Given that he weighs 3 lbs more than average 3 month old, it was a little hard to picture my child with his bones sticking out and starving. So I quickly grabbed all my stuff and got to day care where he was just sitting there smiling. Go figure. I was assured that he was screaming earlier. I will probably up my reading to 20 pages of Harry Potter per pumping to keep up with Ty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home