Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Has anyone seen my brain?

I was supposed to meet Jill B for lunch yesterday and totally spaced. Anyone who knows me knows that I have to be on my death bed to cancel out of a social event. And forgetting a social event is unheard of. Fortunately we hadn't decided on a time and had agreed to touch base that morning so she wasn't sitting in the restaurant waiting for me. Ugh. What's worse is that I was at home and had fallen asleep while feeding Ty and just didn't hear the phone. I was at home all day! Fortunately I was able to make amends by loaning her the book club book, in her favorite Large Print Edition style, for the month and dropped off a piece of cake. Which by the way was made with olive oil instead my usual canola oil because I had an airhead moment during that as well. It was today at the doctor's office when they told me that my appointment was for tomorrow at 1:30 PM that I realized it was time for my brain cells to return from maternity leave. (I SWEAR the woman said the appointment was for Wed so I'm still holding to my guns on that one).

The other thing that is making me feel better about going back to work is the fact that Ty doesn't sleep well in the car or when I'm out and about. I start to feel guilty about going out and doing things because it doesn't seem to be very good for him. Being at day care assures that he will have routine and won't be dragged around on errands. I suppose this is just a working mom rationalizing but it works for me.

I made my final visit to my mom's group this morning at Holly's house. It was a nice visit. The one mom who I have gotten to know much better during this maternity leave is Tina, from Germany. It is interesting to hear her observations about Americans like how uptight we are about nudity (stemming from the whole Chandler "breastfeeding in public is indecent exposure" fiasco) but then how open we are about our husbands' vasectomies and our fertility problems. She, by the way, also has a 10 year old pantyhose collection, brought here all the way from Germany no less. She just sold Kristi's house, who is also a mom in our mom's group, and Kristi is moving to Dallas where she is from originally. That's the one downside of living in Phoenix where just about no one is from here... everyone seems to want to move back to their hometowns. That is, except us and Jill M. I haven't much desire to move back to the Carolinas even though it would be nice to be closer to my parents and sisters. The way of life and opportunities are just different here... I love it here and plan to stay for many, many years to come.

4 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats funny kelly about you forgetting things. Maybe when you go back to work things will return to normal. Count me on the never wanting to move back to my homestate-Oregon. We love it here! I don't even mind it in the Summer.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly the same thing happened to me last month for Tatum's well check. I swear I was right though too but I couldn't find the card to prove it. And I couldn't taste the olive oil in the cake. Perhaps you made a discovery. Thanks for the old lady book with large print. hee hee

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you all need to keep those appt cards the receptionist gives you. Sounds like you are right and this is a conspiracy against you!

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. That was me above.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home